used nasload and still nothing

This topic contains 20 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  bow2evil 4 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author

bow2evil

ive looked and goggled how to replace the mss drive and still cant figure it out ive been able to get the unit to reset to default settings ip 192.168.1.1 ect. i use boot and nuke on the hdd. reinstall it and it registers itself as static on the network i used nasload at successfully updated the firmware with broadcom_split.nas i think. and let it sit for 24 hours the light was still solid yellow and pressing buttons had no effect so i pulled the plug and powered it back up solid yellow for a min or so followed by a green flashing light and a yellow (2 greens then 1 yellow) i found that means theres a network error i think but i also could not find it it did not obtain dhcp ip address nor the static ip 192.168.1.1 ?????? so i started over boot and nuke then nasload this time i tried to use mss122_openmss3-rc1.bin (nasload /a /f mss122_openmss3-rc1.bin /P /admin /1) it replys

Downloading mss122_openmss3-rc1.bin…
    Error message from remote machine: CRC failure.
    ERROR: Could not receive acknowledgement: 1026

im not sure what im doing wrong i do believe its a mss unit and im using a 80 gb seagate drive

thanks for any advice or help given

joekrahn

Have you tried loading the factory firmware instead of OpenMSS? It is possible that the firmware modifications are causing a problem that only shows up when initializing a new disk. Also, you might try to zero out the MBR on the replacement disk.

Joe

bow2evil

@joekrahn wrote:

Have you tried loading the factory firmware instead of OpenMSS? It is possible that the firmware modifications are causing a problem that only shows up when initializing a new disk. Also, you might try to zero out the MBR on the replacement disk.

Joe

im about to run the maxtor fw right now and will let you know the results shortly and
    when i run derick’s boot and nuke doesnt it zero out the mbr or do i need to hex edit it
    or should i try hex editing the mbr like in post http://www.openmss.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=491

thx joe

bow2evil

just tried the mss_v_2_6_2.bin with the same results 2green flashes followed by 1yellow no ip connections established i tried adding the mac address the the arp table as in http://www.openmss.org/HowTo/RestoreCorruptedHD
    still couldn’t ping the mss unit what could i be doing wrong
    i have a computer connected to its own router just mss and the computer its a linksys router no inet connections dhcp is enabled ip is 192.168.1.254 dhcp pool is 192.168.1.20-24 subnet 255.255.255.0 the mss unit is normally static on reset i think and is currently at 192.168.1.1 when i put a clean drive in (boot and nuke) that is it will ping but no telnet or web nasload.exe finds it and will successfully uploads fw. i wait about five mins and pull the plug to reboot the mss unit when it boots it flashes 2greens then a yellow is the a troubleshooting led guide or am i not post to pull the plug (it wont reset or turn off standby nothen) should i try formating the drive with linux and if i do do i need to include a swap or boot or reinsfs or should i just give up ive been working on this for a week now with no success
    thx for any help given

joe

npe

I tried very many times too…so don’t give up.
    You most certainly have read all the information in this forum.
    There is a wealth of knowledge and sometimes it ‘s not so easy to get to the point.
    I made a reply and I hope you may find it under this link

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=62&start=15&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=nasload#p3438

Hope it will share some light!

joekrahn

Are you upgrading to a larger disk? If so, how big is it? There are known problems with a large internal disk. The kernel is limited to 1TB, but other software limitations cause problems much sooner. I think that something like 300G is the limit, without a completely custom installation.

bow2evil

just wondering ive seen some stuff reguarding “dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda” i would guess its a simple linux command but do you run it befor boot and nuke or after. and what does it do attach some type of file system to the hdd or what?

thx joe

joekrahn

@bow2evil wrote:

just wondering ive seen some stuff reguarding “dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda” i would guess its a simple linux command but do you run it befor boot and nuke or after. and what does it do attach some type of file system to the hdd or what?

thx joe

That just writes zeros directly to the “raw” disk, starting with sector 0. Normally, it is enough to write a few blocks: “dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=512 count=2″. It doesn’t do anything to set up the disk, it just blanks it to avoid problems with other partitioning tools getting confused. Just be very careful not to wipe out the wrong disk! Normally, I connect a disk to be wiped into another system as a temporary second disk. I’m sure there are Windows tools to do the same. You can get a nifty USB-to-IDE cable for easy external temporary disk mounts.

To really see what is going on, it would help to have a console, which takes some hardware work.

Joe

bow2evil

@joekrahn wrote:

To really see what is going on, it would help to have a console, which takes some hardware work.

are you talking about using the ttl port on the mss unit i would love to learn how to use that but i probley woulnt understand the language it speaks but would love to learn cause almost everything has those ports and i tried using “dd” and it works faster than tring to run boot and nuke for 2hrs each time but still get the green and yellows could the unit itself be broke but then i would never get an ip right i only loose my ip after the firmware and then it never boots right always flashing green and yellow ive tried using the following fws
    mss122_openmss2.bin wouldnt flash at all gave errors
    mss122_openmss3-rc1.bin wouldnt flash at all gave errors
    mss242_openmss1-rc1.bin flashed but boots with flashing green and yellow light
    mss262_openmss1-rc2.bin flashed but boots with flashing green and yellow light
    mss262_maxtor oem fw flashed but boots with flashing green and yellow light
    broadcom_split.nas flashed but boots with flashing green and yellow light

is there any other firmware that might work maybe a older fw from maxtor and where would i get it

npe

Just to make sure…You’ve replaced the old drive with a new drive?
    You may check that the new drive is set to Cable Select (CS) on the IDE interface.
    Nothing else will work.
    Usually there is a jumper settings table written on the outside of the disk.
    Set the interface to Cable Select (CS) and retry the firmware download.

IDE disks of the Parallel ATA (PATA) type gives you the opportunity to select Master (M), Slave (S) and Cable Select (CS) type of operation. Possibly a few other settings too.
    Of interest in this context is CS.
    Which means that the computer (in this case the MSS) finds and designates the drive as master or slave depending on the location of the of the disk on the IDE cable.
    A normal IDE cable has two connectors for IDE units and one for the motherboard. If You attach two IDE drives to the cable (both set to CS) the disk at the end of the cable will be designated as master and the disk at the “middle” connector on the cable will be designated as slave.
    When it comes to the MSS the cable only have two connectors. One at each end of the cable. Nevertheless You have to set the disk You install to CS.
    Like the original disk was jumpered.

bow2evil

@npe wrote:

Just to make sure…You’ve replaced the old drive with a new drive?
    You may check that the new drive is set to Cable Select (CS) on the IDE interface.
    Nothing else will work.
    Usually there is a jumper settings table written on the outside of the disk.
    Set the interface to Cable Select (CS) and retry the firmware download.

IDE disks of the Parallel ATA (PATA) type gives you the opportunity to select Master (M), Slave (S) and Cable Select (CS) type of operation. Possibly a few other settings too.
    Of interest in this context is CS.
    Which means that the computer (in this case the MSS) finds and designates the drive as master or slave depending on the location of the of the disk on the IDE cable.
    A normal IDE cable has two connectors for IDE units and one for the motherboard. If You attach two IDE drives to the cable (both set to CS) the disk at the end of the cable will be designated as master and the disk at the “middle” connector on the cable will be designated as slave.
    When it comes to the MSS the cable only have two connectors. One at each end of the cable. Nevertheless You have to set the disk You install to CS.
    Like the original disk was jumpered.

ya i read http://www.openmss.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=773 and ive followed everything to a pin head except i didn’t use the ultimate boot cd i used dericks boot and nuke and sence am useing “dd” seeing as from what i can tell nothing on the drive matters if the first 512 are zeros but i could be wrong. im new at this type of thing “my norm for erasing hard drives is skeet shooting its fun watchin em explode well i mean anything beyond a normal format corrupt drive ect” so i use “dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=512 count=2″ now and it will allow my to get nasload to find it once its put in the mss unit then i use nasload to put the fw on it. ive posted the fw ive tried so far above. one of the other pages i cant seem to find it right now but it referenced to a similar problem and was able to use a new drive with only the old 1.22 maxtor fw i dont know if this could be a problem or not im still looking for more fw at this point but after every time i flash new fw i have to unplug the unit to reboot it and never seen any green lights before always yellow when i plug it back in and turn the power on it stays yellow for a min or so then flashes 2greens 1yellow 2greens 1yellow 2greens 1yellow 1green 1yellow repeat over and over again ive tried different variables ive left the unit alone for 24 hrs each time i flashed it the light would stay yellow then i would unplug the unit and plug it back in for another 24 hrs then pull the drive out boot and nuke repeat with new fw im not sure what else to do maybe learn to use the ttl port and reprogram the thing but how long would it take and would it be worth it… ah who am i kiddin fix it makes the day seem to shine briter atow there are alot of dark days to 2greens 1yellow kind of days that suck poop happens and we just got to keep on tring

I am open to ANY suggestions at this point
    thx for your time
    joe

joekrahn

I don’t think you ever stated your new drive’s capacity. If it’s too big, it won’t work. I think people have problems if it is much more than about 300G. To see if that is the case, you could try using the drive’s capacity clipping jumper. It probably has a jumper to truncate the size to 128G. If that does work, it probably will be possible to manually set up the full capacity after you get the system working again.

If it still fails with stock firmware and a clipped capacity and OEM firmware, I would suspect a hardware problem, or some other obscure reason why that particular drives is confusing the system. Is the original drive dead? If not try reloading firmware back onto the original drive just to make sure nothing else broke.

If you connect a serial console, it should give useful error messages, even if you don’t understand how to use it. If you can solder, the following looks like a good choice:
    http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=133

Joe

Does anyone know where i can download the original firmware, maybe version 1.2.2?

Anyone? Don’t all speak at once.

joekrahn

Seagate bought Maxtor, so they have the downloads now. Unfortunately, Seagate used the merger to cut out a lot of Maxtor employees, and their Maxtor product support is not so good. It appears that they don’t have info for using nasload. Anyhow, you can find Shared Storage downloads from here:
    http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/

Here is one place describing NASLOAD for MSS:
    http://itsupport.senechal.be/?p=28
    I think the most reliable method is a direct connection with a cross-over ethernet cable, if you have one.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.